Sunday, September 16, 2012

Thai Shrimp Curry (in a hurry)



While my mom was visiting from overseas, a friend of my husband and I came over and cooked an incredible meal. When he first mentioned it, I thought it would be ridiculously complicated and therefore would not ever attempt to make it. Of course, I was proven wrong and it turned out to be one of the easiest dishes to make (and super delicious)!


Here's what you'll need.

1 Tomato, sliced
1 Onion, sliced
1 can Aroy-D Green Curry
1 can Coconut Milk
1 Red Bell Pepper, sliced
Bak Choy, chopped into thirds - as much as you want!
12 pieces raw Shrimp, peeled - quantity really is up to you

Instructions

1. Start up a saucepan on Medium heat with some oil (I use EVO). When hot, saute the onions and tomatoes until soft.


2. Pour coconut milk and green curry into the mix. Mix and cook for 3 minutes.


3. Add red peppers and bak choy. Cook for 5 minutes.


4. Finally, mix in the shrimp. They cook quickly, so be sure to watch the pan. You don't want to over-cook your shrimp!


Like most Thai curry dishes, I like to serve this with a hot bowl of rice.

You can definitely switch the veggies up, if you'd like! As a side note, I'd recommend not substituting the shrimp for any other type of meat unless you are willing to add sugar (and possibly more) to make up for the flavour of the shrimp. I made this mistake once, and I ended up having to add brown sugar to substitute for the sweetness that generally comes with the shrimp. Originally, this was going to be made with crab legs when our friend made it, but the grocery store was sold out. So, that's definitely a variation I'll have to try.

Serve hot. Eat it up before the cats get to it!



No comments:

Post a Comment